Thursday 13 February 2014

Recipe: Butternut Squash Frittata

First of all, please let me apologize for my absence and for not letting you guys in on the news regarding my blog just yet. I will let the cat out of the bag as soon as I am able too and I really hope that those of you that are following my blog (if there are any of you left!) will follow me on my journey!

Second of all I am also apologizing for my lack of posts in 2014. Truth be told, I have had little time for blogging and even though I really miss it, other things in my life have taken a priority. However I really wanted to share this AWESOME recipe I tried last night. It is super good for you, easy to make, different than a "meat & potatoes" type meal and it's delicious! Perfect for a week night dinner for a family or you can adjust the measurements for a smaller portion. If you have never tried a Frittata before, it is simply eggs, potatoes, cheese and veggies. That's all! My Mom has made them for me many times but this was my first attempt and I can say it was super easy.

So here we go, how to make this Frittata....

Healthy Recipe: Butternut Squash, Spinach and Feta Frittata Ingredients 
  • 1 package (10 oz./300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained 
  • 1½ cups cubed peeled potatoes (375 mL) ( substituted sweet potatoes as they are more nutritious)
  • 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion (175 mL ) 
  • 8 eggs 1/2 cup 
  • 1% milk (125 mL ) 
  • Freshly ground black pepper 
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (250 mL) 
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (125 mL)
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (4 to 5 cups/1 to 1.25 L)  

Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) | 13- by 9-inch (33 by 23 cm) glass baking dish, lightly greased.
Place squash in a large microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap, leaving a corner open to vent. Microwave on High for about 5 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain off excess liquid. Place in the greased dish and gently stir in spinach, potatoes and red onion. 

In a bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season to taste with pepper. Pour over vegeta-bles and stir gently to distribute. Sprinkle evenly with cheddar and feta.

Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until eggs are set. Makes 12 servings

Nutrients (per serving) 
Calories 151
Fat 8.0 g 
Carbohydrate 12 g 
Saturated Fat 4.1 g 
Protein 9 g 
Fiber 2 g (8% DV) 
Sodium 192 mg (8% DV) 
Calcium 177 mg
(16% DV)
 Iron 1.2 mg (9% DV)
Very high in: Vitamin A and vitamin B12. High in: Magnesium, folate and riboflavin. Diabetes Food Choice Values Per Serving: 1/2 Carbohydrates, 1 Meat & Alternatives, 1 Fat

Here's a shot of the finished product




This was very rich tasting for such a light meal. One thing I changed from the original recipe above (which I got from our Wellness Committee at work) is I roasted the sweet potato and squash in the oven. I placed on a baking sheet, drizzled on some EVOO, sprinkled with sea salt and backed in the oven at 400 F until tender. I did that to give the veggies some extra flavor through the roasting process. But if you are short on time or live for convenience you can easily microwave too.

I hope you enjoy this recipe and again I promise more new to come on the MelMac Blog Journey!




bloglovin

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!